When artificial tears is not enough!
We offer dry eye consultation and treatment to improve your dry eyes with a combination of prescription medications, lifestyle & dietary modification and possibly punctal plugs for the right candidate.
What is dry eye syndrome?
Dry eye syndrome is a chronic, but manageable medical condition, where the volume of tear is insufficient or the quality of the natural tear layer is poor to keep the eyes moist and comfortable.
What are the causes of dry eyes?
- Normal aging process
- Dry, windy or air-conditioned environment
- Autoimmune disease such as rheumatoid arthritis
- Systemic disease such as diabetes and thyroid disease
- Side effects from medication
- Contact lens wear
- Excess screen time and computer use
What are the symptoms of dry eyes?
They usually include sandy, scratchy and burning sensation. Possibly light sensitivity, blurry vision and excess tearing in severe cases.
- Questionnaire to identify and to determine severity of dry eyes
- Comprehensive personal ocular and medical history
- Doctor’s evaluation to Identify the cause of your dry eyes
- Artificial lubrication
- Medicated eyelid cleanser
- Lifestyle modification
- Warm compress and massage of the eyelids
- Omega-3 supplement: re-esterified Omega-3 fatty acids can improve the functioning of oil glands along the eyelids and the lipid layer of tears.
- In-office meibomian glands expression
- Prescription topical medication: both steroid and Restasis can be used to decrease ocular inflammation which plays an important role in dry eye syndrome
- Punctal (tear duct) plugs when necessary
Dry eye syndrome is a medical condition, your visit may be covered by MSP. Talk to us about our dry eye evaluation and treatment today!